Applying for Funding
United Way believes in a community where everyone can succeed. We are committed to targeting our resources and efforts to areas that are essential for our community to thrive.
Each year, donors trust United Way to make program investments that will have a lasting impact. We value this trust and have rigorous processes in place to ensure the best investment of available funds. Decisions are based on multiple factors including priorities, specific funding criteria, and community knowledge.
Registered Canadian charities that are operating local programs may apply for United Way funding, within specified time-periods. We currently fund within two categories; Sudbury Program Funding and Area Grants. The number of funded programs and allocated amounts are determined by dollars raised in the community.
Sudbury Program Funding
Sudbury Program Funding of $10,000 or more is based on an in-depth review process that determines funding allocations to local programs addressing identified needs for one or more of our focus areas:
- All that kids can be
- Building strong communities
- Moving people from poverty to possibility
To apply for Sudbury Program Funding, agencies must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Registered Canadian Charity
- The program must have been operational for one complete year before applying for United Way funding
- The program aligns with United Way’s focus areas
- The program must be situated in the City of Greater Sudbury
- The program demonstrates impact
- The program applies evidence-based effectiveness
Agencies that meet the required criteria are invited to register their intent to apply no later than December 19, 2018. If you are a current funded partner that is applying for funding for a new program, you are still required to register your intent.
Application Deadline for Sudbury Program Funding is January 16, 2019
Area Grants are available for the City of Timmins, and Districts of Cochrane, Nipissing, Parry Sound and Timiskaming.
Area Grant funding is based on an application review process that determines funding allocations to local organizations that address identified needs for one or more of our identified focus areas. To apply for an Area Grant, agencies must meet the following criteria:
Organizational eligibility requirements:
- Grant funding must be spent before March 1, 2020 (when the final report is due)
- Must provide three (3) quotes for any materials, equipment and/or services
- Must be a registered charitable organization with the Canada Revenue Agency
- Must sign a Partnership Agreement with United Way
Grants may be applied to:
- Equipment/minor capital
- Projects (with a beginning and an end) – including pilot projects
Grants do not apply to:
- Projects outside of the listed catchment area
- Direct funds to individuals
- Deficit funding
- Retroactive projects or events
- Program operational reserves
- Dollar for dollar replacement of government funding
- Fundraising efforts
- Consultant fees
Applications for the Nipissing District and the Parry Sound District can be obtained by contacting:
Applications for the City of Timmins, Cochrane District, and the Timiskaming District can be obtained by contacting:
Applications for Manitoulin District can be obtained by contacting:
WOLVES United - United FIVE Grants
The application process for WOLVES United – United FIVE funding is now closed. We thank all applicants for their interest.
For more information, please contact:
Governance and Partnership Manager, Ext. 222